JOB TITLE: Certified Police Officer
JOB SUMMARY: Position responsible for providing police services to the public for the purpose of maintaining public order and safety.
SAFETY: Employee responsible for adhering to all safety procedures and regulations established by the Department, the City and all State and Federal organizations. Any safety concern should be reported to a supervisor immediately.
• Patrols areas within the City limits and enforces state and local laws; investigates crimes against persons and property and traffic accidents; apprehends and arrests criminals; serves warrants, subpoenas and other writs; processes bookings and photographs.
• Is responsible for promoting good public relations and performs such duties as providing house security checks, emergency protection, providing escorts through the City, conducting security stand-by and providing money escorts. Engages in Community Oriented Policing activities.
• Provides information and assistance to the general public.
• Prepares and presents cases in court.
• Responds to emergency alarms as needed to include burglar alarms, armed robberies, assaults, domestic violence and prowler calls.
• Receives, reviews, processes, files and/or submits various reports and records including incident reports, supplement reports, accident reports, booking reports, witness statements, activity sheets, various forms and records, training reports and affidavits.
• Performs crime scene processing as necessary.
• Rolls fingerprints for criminals and citizens.
• Operates computers with a wide variety of applications and functions.
• Assists other law enforcement agencies as needed.
• Performs desk and dispatch duties as needed.
• Serves as back up to co-workers.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Knowledge of local, state and federal criminal and civil law.
• Knowledge of the procedures, guidelines and equipment used in law enforcement activities.
• Knowledge of the geographic layout of the City.
• Skill in implementation and enforcement of polices and guidelines.
• Skill in the use of firearms and other specialized law enforcement equipment.
• Ability to successfully complete police officer certification through the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
• Ability to use computers and various software programs, to include Word and Excel.
• Ability to obtain DataMaster and RADAR/LIDAR Certifications.
• Ability to work under pressure, in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions, requiring employee to use judgment. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, and accuracy and may verify final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include South Carolina State laws, City codes, Federal Laws, CALEA Standards, City policies and department SOP's. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of varied technical law enforcement duties. The necessity of responding to potentially life-threatening situations contributes to the complexity of the position.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to ensure law and order is maintained in the City. Successful performance provides a safe community for the citizens.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with City employees, other law enforcement agencies, attorneys, judges and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information and to resolve conflicts.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, bending, crouching or walking. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and must be able to distinguish between shades of color. The employee must be in good physical condition in order to carry out law enforcement duties and pass a physical every two years.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in the field exposed to inclement weather and traffic. The work requires the use of protective devices. Employee is exposed to hostile and volatile situations and may be exposed to situations that are life-threatening.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Valid South Carolina Driver’s License.
This position is for a certified police officer. Certification from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy or another state’s law enforcement training academy, B.L.E.T. or P.O.S.T. required.
Moncks Corner Recreation Department will be accepting applications for maintenance technician. This is a full time position with benefits. Duties to include but not limited to cutting grass, weed eating, maintaining athletic fields and any other duties deemed necessary. Person must be able to lift 50 pounds. Experience with small engine repairs a plus. Some nights and weekends required. Individual must possess a valid SC driver’s license. Grade N-9 ($24,735 – 34,628). Applications available at www.townofmonckscorner.sc.gov or in person at the Moncks Corner Municipal Complex, 118 Carolina Ave. Applications accepted until filled. EOE